STIHL Chainsaw Safety Notice
When using a chainsaw, you must always take the correct precautions. Please wear the correct personal protective equipment before you begin using your chainsaw.
- Clothing must be sturdy and snug-fitting, but allow complete freedom of movement. Avoid clothing that could get caught on branches, brush or moving parts of the machine. Do not wear a scarf, necktie or jewellery. Tie up and confine long hair with a head scarf, cap or hard hat.
- You must wear trousers or chaps with cut-retardant material.
- You must wear suitable safety shoes with cut-retardant material, non-slip soles and steel toe caps.
- To reduce the risk of eye injuries, wear tight fitting safety goggle conforming to standard EN 166 or a face shield.
- Wear hearing protection, for example ear defenders.
- If working in an area with the risk of falling objects, wear a hard hat.
- Wear sturdy, protective gloves made from a resistant material.
If you are in any doubt about how to use a chainsaw correctly, we recommend speaking to our experts on 0333 323 1899 – contact us by clicking here. You can also visit your local Smiths Hire depot – view our locations here. Please note that we do offer a Click & Collect service, where you can order online then collect it in person where a trained member of staff can give you a full handover and instructions on how to operate the machine. Please note you should never use a chainsaw whilst on a ladder and should only use it in a tree if you have the appropriate qualifications.
You can find videos showing you how to fill your machine with fuel and oil, fit bars and chains and start your chainsaw here.